Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blessed Beyond Measure (A Look at God's Providence in My Life)

As the time for our departure draws ever closer (T-Minus 64 days until Operation Move officially commences) I am reminded of how great our God truly is. For many years I have prayed that I might be a more effective worker for God. Now that He has opened this great and wide door (1 Corinthians 16:9), I look back at how He has prepared me for this new adventure. 

In November of 2006, I was approached by a kind older lady about preaching the gospel at this small congregation about 12 miles south of where I lived. I agreed, thinking that this was only to be a "part-time and temporary" arrangement. On January 7, 2007 I delivered my first sermon to the Midway church of Christ. They asked me back the next Sunday, and the following Sunday after that. Eventually I figured out that they meant to keep me. I have been there ever since. God truly blessed me by allowing me this opportunity to grow and learn. 

During this time I became very involved in online study and outreach efforts. I eventually came to serve as an administrator to two interactive study forums: The Preacher's Files, and the Bible Truth Forums (now thechurchofChrist.ws). Through these forums the gospel is taught to thousands of people all over the world, plus swords are sharpened through discussion with fellow Christians and debate with unbelievers. My sword started out rather dull, but it sure has been sharpened (Proverbs 27:17). 

While praying for opportunities to serve, I was also praying for a partner to walk with me in this life; God provided. I met Julia first through her mother, Joy, and she found me through the Bible Truth Forums. Joy got to know me through my writing and through direct discussion with me. The forum also served as the first line of communication between Julia and myself. While we would eventually find other means of communication, the forum provided an essential link between a girl in Africa and a boy in Oklahoma.

Now we flash forward, preparing to enter an intense two year training, and of course our God has blessed us in this regard. Our fundraising went remarkably well, and we have now reached our goal! This is a truly wonderful feeling. While the spiritual aspect is the most important, we do need to eat, to sleep, and to cover ourselves. It is a calm and peaceful feeling knowing that these needs will be met.

Needless to say, my God has been mindful of me! His wonderful providence is seen clearly, and if this much is visible to me now, I can't wait to see what else He has in store for us. 

-Lee

1 comment:

  1. God does bless us in such wonderful ways...my difficulty has been being patient enough to wait on some of them. I have to remind myself that He knows best and exactly what I need in this life which will help me serve Him and gain heaven at that appointed day. Paul has been one of those wonderful blessings from God. I am so glad you and Julia found each other.
    I enjoyed reading your post, and I pray you and Julia continue to be blessed by our heavenly Father in all things.
    ~Kimberly

    ReplyDelete